Saturday, January 1, 2011

How Many Nerves in the Finger?

OMG.  Lots and lots and lots.

I know this because Poppy has tried to take off my finger on many occasions.  They love to eat out of my hands.  And it's fun to feed them from your hand.  But when introducing something new, they study it, and look at it and then Poppy will go in for the kill.  This is especially true with soft things like oatmeal or yogurt.  She literally takes my entire finger tip into her beak and clamps onto it.

Ginger, on the other hand, is so delicate and just pecks at the tips of my fingers.  And only pecks hard enough to take the food off of my finger.  Which is not hard at all.  And she has turned out to be quite the love bug.  If I don't pick her up, she'll hop up into my lap.  This morning, she snuck around to my  back and hopped up to the middle of my back and then up to my shoulder to watch the other girls eat their apple.

The kids who live next door came over to say hello to the girls the other day and were giving the girls some bits of their croissant.  I was keeping a close eye on my Poppy to make sure she didn't get too close to those tiny fingers.  That would traumatize those poor kids for the rest of their life if she were to get a good peck in.  And I purposely bought docile hens so that the people could come visit with them and not be attacked.  Fortunately, no fingers were pecked.

But Ginger did peck me in both the mouth and the eye when sitting on my shoulder this morning.  I know she's just going after anything that looks like it might be food.  Maybe having her sit on my shoulder is not such a good idea.

They are still technically teenagers.  I'm hopping they mellow out more as they continue to age.

No comments:

Post a Comment