Monday, December 27, 2010

Cutting off the Wild Birds

I've been reading up on chicken diseases.  My goodness, that will really instill some fear.  If I hadn't raised healthy chickens in the suburbs growing up, I'm not sure I would have taken on this project.  And I know I'm reading about all the things that could possibly go wrong and that it's unlikely I'll encounter any of these.  But still.  ACK!!!

One of the biggest source of concern for my small flock is potential diseases that wild birds can introduce.  It's HIGHLY recommended that you do not feed wild birds or encourage them to your yard if you have a flock of chickens.

And yes, I feed the wild birds.  So I'm going to have to cut them off.  I have two big bags of seeds left and it would be cruel to cut them off just as we go into winter.  So I'll finish putting out the seeds I currently have in the garage.  Which should take me well into spring.  And then I'll taper off.

The good news is that I've planted a number of California natives on our side yard as well as some drought tolerant species.  Many of these attract the birds with their flowers and seed pods so they will still have stuff to eat.  They just have to go all natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment