Saturday, March 26, 2011

Ever been cussed out by a chicken?

My husband has.  It was hilarious!

Coco is my alpha hen.  She is the biggest of the three and most definitely, the loudest.  She is in charge and you can tell from the way she stands tall and surveys all that goes on in her domain.  But she's also very friendly, docile and rather curious.  She loves to eat out of my hands.

But she doesn't want to be touched.  She watches me pick up Ginger and stroke her.  And she watches me pet Pumpkin.  Who still isn't crazy about being cuddled but likes to have her back scratched.

But put your hands towards Coco like you might pick her up and she backs away and makes this deep, guttural baaaawwwwwk sound.  And that's usually as far as I push it with her. 

So the other night, we both went out to give the girls treats.  Ginger of course hops right up on my knee and nibbles on my hair.  Pumpkin squatted and let Mike give her a good scratch between the wings.  So then he turned his attention to Coco.  He managed to give her a good squeeze on the tail.  And she let him have it!  She went off like a air raid siren and wouldn't stop.

BAWK BAWK BAWWWK BAWK BAWK BAWK BAWWWK BAWK BAWK BAWWWK BAWK BAWK BAWK BAWWWKBAWK BAWK BAWWWK BAWK BAWK BAWK BAWWWKBAWK BAWK BAWWWK BAWK BAWK BAWK BAWWWKBAWK BAWK......

She was standing tall and looking right at Mike and making more racket then I thought a chicken could possibly make.  I looked at him and said, "Are you happy?  This is totally directed towards you."

And in case you can't understand her, she's saying, "If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, DON'T TOUCH ME!!!"  I couldn't hear his reply over her squawking.

We finally retreated to the house but it took her several minutes to finally calm down and stop squawking.  I can only hope the neighbors weren't home.

Not the best photo but the most current one of Coco.  She's BEAUTIFUL with a black beak and feet and this iridescent green and violet sheen to her feathers.  Her bright red face and comb contrast nicely against her black feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment