Saturday, November 5, 2011

Waiting for Spring

I know, it's not even winter yet.  But I really want more chickens.  And we're headed into the season where the hatcheries slow down production and most stop until after the first of the year.  And while they start up in early January, the chickens might still be on slow production as they finish their molt.  And then of course, you have to wait 21 days for those eggs to hatch and the chicks to ship.  So it's going to be February before I have easy access to more chicks.

I really want four hens for my flock.  I started with four hens when I started this adventure a little over a year ago.  But as you know if you've been following my blog, Poppy turned out to be a rooster and we gave him to a family that has some property and wanted to expand their flock of two chickens.

And then about a month ago, we gave away Pumpkin who was a bully towards Ginger.  To the point of not letting her eat food.  She now lives not terribly far away, with two other hens, and is hopefully at the bottom of that pecking order getting a small dose of what it feels like to be pecked at.

And that's how I ended up with just two hens.  Who get along like sisters and are such sweet chickens.  But I worry constantly, what if something happens to one.  One chicken is a VERY lonely chicken.  So I'm eager to add to our flock of Spice Girls.

And as much as I want a mixed flock of hens who lay a variety of colored eggs, I've come to the realization that to have a better chance of having multiple hens who get along well with each other, I should buy the same species.  So more Buff Orpington's are in order.  Ginger is a Buff Orpington or BO for short.

We've selected names for our newest additions, Honey and Spice.  But for now, they are just a fantasy I dream about while I wait for spring.

1 comment:

  1. You could add a welsummer or marans for a nice dark egg. Both breeds are rather docile. I love the terracotta eggs that my welsummers lay. Both wels are big babies and are in your face anytime you bend over to pick anything up.

    ~~Matt~~

    ReplyDelete