Friday, June 17, 2011

Pumpkin Stew?

Hmmm, doesn't sound so good.

Pumpkin Cacciatore?  No, that's not good either.

Pumpkin has started to peck at Ginger when I dole out treats.  I hadn't noticed it till about a week ago so I'm not sure how long this has been going on.  I did wonder why Ginger didn't run to eat the BOSS I tossed out in the morning, but rather stayed right at my feet while I tidied up their run.

And I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do.  I know that some degree of pecking is normal.  And she's not drawing blood or anything like that.  So a part of me says to ignore it.

But Ginger is just the sweetest thing in the world and I can't ignore it.

Yesterday, I gave the girls carrot tops and held my hand out to keep Pumpkin away while Ginger ate.  Probably not the best solution.  But it kept Pumpkin from pecking Ginger till she had her fill.  And once Pumpkin gets near her, Ginger quickly moves away.  So I suspect this has been going on much longer than just the week.

So for the near term, I think I'll give Ginger treats separate from the other girls.

If this situation gets worse, I might be making changes to the flock structure.  I'd sure miss her pretty green eggs.  But her pecking ways will simply not be tolerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment