Thursday, February 24, 2011

Snail Management

If you have a garden, then you have issues with snails.  And this is the time of the year that they really beging to multiply in my yard.  I had really hoped to let the chickens have at the yard and hopefully eat all my snails.  But my fear of loseing one to a hawk has forced me to keep them in their run.

I know this is hard on them.  They stand at the gate and watch me intently when I'm out in the garden.  I feel like a bad chicken mama keeping them locked up.  I keep tossing things in their run to keep them busy.  Today, I pulled out a bunch of weeds and put those in there which kept them busy all afternoon.  But when ever I open the gate, they are right there looking and watching and stepping out a few steps outside to see what's out there.

I may have to rethink letting them free range.  The girls are getting bigger and more aware of their surroundings.  My yard is pretty sparse right now with all the roses cut back and no veggies growing.  But once the roses fill in, I might let the girls free range once or twice and stay out there with them to see if this might work out

No comments:

Post a Comment