Saturday, December 25, 2010

Oatmeal for Christmas

I wanted to give the girls meal worms for Christmas.  Not that they know today to be different from any other day in their lives.  But I felt they should have something special to eat today.  And we have another big storm coming in so it's going to be wet and windy for the next 24 hours.

But I never made it over to the bird store to buy worms.  So we made extra oatmeal for breakfast this morning and set some aside for the girls.  I let it cool while we ate ours and then took it out to them.  I wasn't sure if it would be a hit or not.  I tried yogurt a few weeks back and could only get Pumpkin to try it.  She didn't seem to like the consistency because she backed away from it and proceeded to wipe her beak over and over and over.

But oatmeal was a huge hit.  And I think they appreciated having something warm for breakfast.  They gobbled almost all of it up.  But they do fling it everywhere as they shake their beaks.  So stand back when feeding foods of that consistency to chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment