Monday, June 24, 2013

It's only a matter of time

Coco is giving my NO Chicken sign the stink eye.
We re-landscaped earlier this year.  Nothing fancy.  Basically, replaced the original 60 year old slab cement patio with pavers, updated the irrigation system and had some raised planter boxes put in.  Where we live, clay cement abounds.  And I mean CLAY.  You could take a shovel full of dirt, form it, fire it and use it as stoneware.  But I digress.

As with any project, once you start, you get ideas on how it could be better.  Last year, I didn't get any tomatoes that grew under 2 1/2 feet.  The chickens got all of them.  Which worked out okay.  But this year, I planted a few blueberries and blackberries and I really don't want to share.

So I asked the landscaper if he could put up a small fence dividing my flower garden from the veggies.  It's worked out perfect.  I even put up the NO chickens sign to show the hens that they were not allowed into my veggie garden.

But a few times, I've gone into the veggie garden and come out with blueberries or tomatoes and Coco is right there at the gate waiting to see if I have treats.  And how can I say no to her.  So I'll offer up a morsel or two.  Well, she's on to me.  She KNOWS that the other side of that gate is Shangri La.  She's been spending more and more time in front of the gate peering through at what grows behind.

She's a BIG bird and flying up and over 4' would be a challenge.  But it's not out of the question.  I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have gone 5' on the fence.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I love the sign, probably more than Coco does! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trouble is a chicken can't read so a picture of a chicken on the gate says: chickens come in here, you are welcome! My girls would fly over that fence with ease. I love the sign though. I will be waiting to see how long the fence holds her back from the tasty treats in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catching up on the blog. Thank you for the wonderful reads. I so enjoy hearing and learning about your flock and your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sign and the pickets on your gate! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete