Thursday, January 6, 2011

Going Green

We are really going to make a push to go "green" this year.  I'm not ready to go off the grid or put solar panels up on my roof.  My goal this year is to incorporate all those little, easy steps that can really make a difference in the world.  And to educate others about how easy this can be and what a difference it can make.

Two years ago, my New Year's resolution was to try and not use any plastic bags.  I bought an egg sized, nylon sack from a store and kept that in my purse.  It has a pouch sewn into it so it packs up nice and compact.  And you can get a surprising amount of stuff in it.  This way, I always have a bag with me.  I didn't think it would last more than 6 months but it's more than 2 years old and still going.

I also bought some mesh sacks that have drawstrings and use for all my veggie purchases.  The only thing I don't like, is that wet items such as spinach, get the groceries all wet.  But otherwise, they work great and have really helped cut down on the number of plastic bags that were coming home with us.

I have a collection of reusable bags I keep in the trunk of my car.  This way, I'm always ready when I go grocery shopping or stop at Target to stock up on things.  My mesh veggie sacks are in there as well.  I can pull out just what I need or I keep them in an over sized canvas bag which I can grab and this way, I have what I need when I end up in the check out line.

Let's all do what we can to go a little greener this year.  If you plan on getting off the grid and going solar, great!  But there are so many smaller steps that can really make a difference.  Every little bit will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment